Skip to main content

Driving with Daddy

Daddy aka Mr. Mohan
Happy Father's Day Everyone!  Hope you had an enjoyable day with your loved ones!  Here's Cool Daddy!  Yes, even though I have crossed the half-century mark, I still lovingly call him "Daddy" or "Papi!"  Perhaps, we don't want to grow up and still love that term of endearment which resonates with our special bond with that soul?

I can never forget driving lessons with Daddy on Kapiolani Boulevard and near Diamond Hill! "Oh! don't forget to pull the hand brake."  "Did you turn the tires?"  "Ahyaa! (Chinese exclamation) you have to go closer to the curb, not so far!  LOL!  At 16 "Driving with Daddy" in his prized, green-colored Mustang with manual steering, was quite an adventure!  Poor Papi, I can only now imagine what his cortisol level must have been!

I am ever so grateful I got to spend my college days with him, the ambitious entrepreneur, who was always travelling from one country to another.  Recently, my sister, her family and I visited Daddy, who was over excited and full of joy upon seeing us and wanted to do everything to ensure we were comfortable just as he did when we were younger.  His heightened happiness erased the pain and suffering of his deteriorated health. The days flew while were there, the airport farewell was the saddest of all.  My father, who doesn't walk too far nowadays, insisted on leaving me to the check-in counter.  Even at 80+ he wanted to make sure his baby was going to make it safely on the flight.  While I was waiting to check in, I watched my father walk slowly towards the exit.  My heart was sinking - I was overcome with grief.  I left my luggage and immediately called after him, "Daddy, Daddy!"  He couldn't hear me as he had misplaced one of his hearing aids.  I ran as fast as I could and gave him the tightest squeeze ever!  A real big hug --  and said loudly, "I love you Daddy!"  After a little kiss on his cheek - I quickly turned away so that he wouldn't see the gush of my tears and nor I his.

It's so true that as we get older, our values and thoughts change and we embrace each moment we get to spend with a loved one - cherishing it, and praying it isn't our last.

Enjoy every moment of this special day and please tell your father and/or grandfather you love them not only today but for the rest of the days of your blessed life.

Cheers to Your Loving Relationships!

Jyoti




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can Can Night

Do you struggle with preparing a meal at home on Friday evenings? My legs could barely carry me home tonight - I had done a lot of running around this week and running up and down the long subway escalators. I was kaput! Did I forget my vitamins?? I ran out of my go-to-comfort food.  Brown rice tortillas and Daiya cheese are my butter and toast. Trader Joe's hasn't had any brown rice tortillas recently - all the snow storms we have been having - people have been grabbing them before I reach there! After eating a few corn tortilla chips, dried coconut chips, I knew I had to make something substantial 'cause I wasn't going to survive on that or rice crackers and kimchi sauce! Enter the can can dance! I kept eyeing the can of kidney beans while my mouth salivated. "Yes, I want that!" "Nah! Who's going to chop garlic, tomatoes, etc.?" I debated with myself - I'm too tired. I gave in - made the kidney beans and have enough energy to

The New Kick in My Block

Did you know that this is the original Sriracha? Mrs. Chakkapak created it in her kitchen in Si Racha, Thailand, for her family and friends. See article  from Bon Appetit by Andrea Nguyen. I came across this chopstick-licking sauce, which is hot, yet slightly sweet, during my trek to the Thai Grocery Store. I prefer it to the sweet chili sauce with loads of pepper seeds. Sriraja has the right kick! What I especially appreciate is that it is free of preservatives and artificial coloring and has no msg!  Can't wait to dig in to my bowl of noodles! Bon appétit! Jyoti

How I Transformed My Life?

7 Years ago on a frigid winter morning in January, little did I know that my life was about to transform dramatically! It was my first day at Institute for Integrative Nutrition ("IIN"). Today I had the privilege of going back to school, IIN, for a live event at Avery Fisher Hall! As I entered the Time Warner Building, I started feeling happy and excited! The energy in a room full of 1,000+ health coaches cannot be described, but has to be experienced!  Endorphins are released!  One just wants to freeze time and stay in the present moment and savor it. At IIN I learned different diet theories, I was supported by colleagues and mentors and learned from world-renown experts in the holistic field. I addressed my own health issues and share my knowledge to help others. Today I am gluten-free and dairy-free and it's with the support I received from my colleagues at IIN that I was able to smoothly transition into this lifestyle. Most importantly, I learned to love and accep