Skip to main content

OMG - What a wonderful surprise!


When I woke up yesterday to water my plants in my little patio garden, I kept searching for baby pepper plants since I saw it had started to flower.  I kept looking up and down for a tiny baby pepper. To my astonishment and delight, there in the midst of the chives and parsley lay a full-size pepper!  Where did this come from?  I was totally taken, here I was hunting for some tiny little thing and all of sudden I was the proud parent of a real pepper. What a thrill!  I gave a shout of joy and surprise when I first saw it - I couldn't believe my eyes.  This is the first time I have grown a pepper.  Gardening is new to me - started a mini garden last year and was afraid to go on vacation in case the tomatoes would die. You can relate to that can't you?  Yes? 

I get my gardening tips from my friends Lydia and Perla and also from Trina, of Silver Heights Farms, who is at the Union Square Farmers Market on Wednesdays.

Gardening is therapeutic - very relaxing and fulfilling.  It motivates one each day to get up and see what new fruit has been borne.  When you see a new flower or tomato or, in this case, pepper, it's the same sort of feeling you get when you open your presents on Christmas or your birthday - surprised, excited and HAPPY!

If you are stressed or upset, just go to your garden, take some nice deep breaths, admire your plants and herbs, run your fingers through your lavender plant and inhale the fragrance of the lavender to soothe you.

Every morning when I water my plants, I love 'em up and speak to them 'cause I really care for them and want them to grow and be happy and healthy, and I know that they will in turn nourish and heal me with that same love and joy.

Eating something from you garden that you have grown and cared for, feeds your body, mind and soul. Somehow your meal with those freshly picked ingredients has a different energy level and when you eat it, you appreciate and enjoy the fruits of your labor.

Happy Gardening!

Recent Addition  - Lettuce

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can Can Night

Do you struggle with preparing a meal at home on Friday evenings? My legs could barely carry me home tonight - I had done a lot of running around this week and running up and down the long subway escalators. I was kaput! Did I forget my vitamins?? I ran out of my go-to-comfort food.  Brown rice tortillas and Daiya cheese are my butter and toast. Trader Joe's hasn't had any brown rice tortillas recently - all the snow storms we have been having - people have been grabbing them before I reach there! After eating a few corn tortilla chips, dried coconut chips, I knew I had to make something substantial 'cause I wasn't going to survive on that or rice crackers and kimchi sauce! Enter the can can dance! I kept eyeing the can of kidney beans while my mouth salivated. "Yes, I want that!" "Nah! Who's going to chop garlic, tomatoes, etc.?" I debated with myself - I'm too tired. I gave in - made the kidney beans and have enough energy to

The New Kick in My Block

Did you know that this is the original Sriracha? Mrs. Chakkapak created it in her kitchen in Si Racha, Thailand, for her family and friends. See article  from Bon Appetit by Andrea Nguyen. I came across this chopstick-licking sauce, which is hot, yet slightly sweet, during my trek to the Thai Grocery Store. I prefer it to the sweet chili sauce with loads of pepper seeds. Sriraja has the right kick! What I especially appreciate is that it is free of preservatives and artificial coloring and has no msg!  Can't wait to dig in to my bowl of noodles! Bon appétit! Jyoti

How I Transformed My Life?

7 Years ago on a frigid winter morning in January, little did I know that my life was about to transform dramatically! It was my first day at Institute for Integrative Nutrition ("IIN"). Today I had the privilege of going back to school, IIN, for a live event at Avery Fisher Hall! As I entered the Time Warner Building, I started feeling happy and excited! The energy in a room full of 1,000+ health coaches cannot be described, but has to be experienced!  Endorphins are released!  One just wants to freeze time and stay in the present moment and savor it. At IIN I learned different diet theories, I was supported by colleagues and mentors and learned from world-renown experts in the holistic field. I addressed my own health issues and share my knowledge to help others. Today I am gluten-free and dairy-free and it's with the support I received from my colleagues at IIN that I was able to smoothly transition into this lifestyle. Most importantly, I learned to love and accep